The Basketball Tournament keeps getting bigger and better. This season the 64 teams are playing for $2 million. The bracket was announced today and Basketball City will be taking on Boeheim’s Army in the first round in Philadelphia on July 16.
Boeheim’s Army is one of the best known teams in The Tournament because it is a group of Syracuse alums featuring players such as Eric Devendorf and Hakim Warrick. The team has almost 3,000 fan votes for the tournament and reached the quarterfinals of the 2015 edition. They were given the #2 seed in the East Region.
Facing them is Basketball City. The team is comprised of players from the New York City area, including former Manhattan stars George Beamon and Rhamel Brown. This year they’ll also be joined by former NJIT Isaiah Wilkerson. This isn’t Basketball City’s first rodeo either. The team won its first round game last year behind former Florida Atlantic University guard Shavar Richardson and St. Bonaventure small forward Demitrius Conger.
The winner will take on a local Philadelphia team the next day. It should be a good battle of New York basketball.
Other former mid-major players slated to play in Philadelphia:
- Mike Campbell, LIU Brooklyn (Big Apple Basketball)
- Antawn Dobie, LIU Brooklyn (Big Apple Basketball)
- Tre Bowman, Iona (Sideline Cancer)
- Novar Gadson, Rider (Sideline Cancer)
- Ronald Moore, Siena (Liberty Ballers)
- OD Anosike, Siena (Liberty Ballers)
- Ryan Thompson, Rider (Liberty Ballers)
- Bucknell Alumni (PA RoadWarriors)
- Shane Gibson, Sacred Heart (Team Fancy)
- Mike Glover, Iona (Team Fancy)